IPENZ recognizes this engineering work as an important part of N.Z.'s engineering heritage.
Completed in 1882 it typifies the N.Z. ability to adapt and modify overseas concepts to meet local conditions.
The design was superwised by John Carruthers, the PUBLIC WORKS DEPARTMENT's first ENGINEER-IN-CHIEF.
In it we combined american concepts developed by Whipple, Fink and Bollman, but contrary to popular belief the bridge does not incorporate a Bollman Truss.
Associates: George Thornton, Provincial Engineer for Canterbury; W. G. Bull, Assistant Engineer; A. D. Austin, District Engineer, P.W.D.
Contractor: W. H. Barnes
IPENZ – The Institution Of Professionel Engineers, New Zealand
Inschrift an einer dortselbst angebrachten Gedenktafel – Ehre, wem Ehre gebührt!